Tuesday

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Acclaimed Portrait Artist Winifred Whitfield

I am pleased to welcome Winifred Whitfield to The Fashionable Feminist. Winifred recently received the Accolade of Lifetime Photographic Excellence granted in recognition of her continued outstanding photographic achievement. I am excited to reveal her unique and beautiful perspectives on portraits. Currently Winifred has a large display of her heirloom portraits at ChocMo Bistro in Poulsbo and large display of portraits and other fine art creations at Columbia bank in Port Ludlow, Washington. Or, view her collection online at Photos in New York.


How many years have you been translating women’s beauty and unique personalities through your portrait work?

I have been creating elegant and sensuous portraits for women beginning in 2004. It started when women ask me if I could create a special image of them for a significant other for Valentine’s Day, or for a birthday, or as a wedding present. It is always such a perfect gift because the whole portrait process as well as the personal art itself is a special gift to her as well. I so enjoy this special day with a woman. She feels very pretty and special and I can always assure her that her portrait/s will be beautiful.

Has your work undergone an evolution over time?

It has indeed. It always takes a bit of time for an artist to create a unique style. Part of the process was getting in touch with what most moved me in creating these portraits. I am quite clear about what that is now. Not only is it important to me to create a very flattering portrait but it is just as important to me – if not more so, to create a portrait which has emotional content. I want the viewer to experience the woman emotionally when they view her image. I want the viewer to wonder what she is feeling or thinking. I want the emotional content to draw the viewer into her. In doing so this image is “alive” forever.

How do you capture the personality of each and every one of your subjects?

To be able to do this is indeed a gift and I treasure it – though I am not sure that I can explain very well how this is done. For one thing, creating these portraits is for me a true passion. I probably want and require more of myself than my clients require. I am constantly seeking to exceed their expectations and my feedback is that I do.

Prior to any portrait session, I require that we have a consultation. We spend 45 minutes to an hour and a half together getting to know each other. We share a great deal about ourselves at that time. I also get to know something about the person for whom this gift is being given. It is simply a time to connect and it is real and valuable to me so that on the day we shoot I know how to guide and orchestrate the “scene” we are creating which will result in a beautiful and heartfelt portrait. I can usually select the portrait without any input from my client. I allow it however because ladies love to looking at themselves and to remember the process. It is actually fun. I then enhance the image or even paint it with digital brushes if that is our agreement. The heirloom portraits I create printed on canvas and varnished are spectacular! It is truly a piece of personal art.

How would you describe your personal creative process?

Robert Browning says, “Truth is within ourselves”… I believe this to be true of creativity as well. Hence, my job is to get out of my own way and not to block the flow of the gifts I have been given. I do so by believing in myself, by the constant study and practice I bring into my life, by looking often at traditional art images which inspire me. Through this process, I easily and fluidly create a vision of my client which I can take to its conclusion as a treasured gift in her life and those who love her.

What does it mean to be a fashionable feminist? How do you use your artistic talents to empower women?

I think I only partially grasp the impact of this portrait creation process on women. I have been told so many times, “ you have changed my life.” Women get to see themselves through my eyes and it is usually quite different from the way they saw themselves. I see them as beautiful and proud and strong and sensuous and I get to put it into their hands – right there, tangible – forever. AH! Much of our concept of our worth, desirability and beauty comes through images we have seen of ourselves. I get to intervene and mirror to women the way I see them – in a very beautiful and powerful way and I love it.

The fashionable feminist is indeed fun loving, fashionable in her unique personal way, vulnerable, loving but strong. She knows it is her job to define her worth and she surrounds herself with people and experiences which support this. Having a beautiful and flattering portrait of oneself should be something that we all own. Then you will look at those magazines and think “she looks OK!”

What are five fabulous things about being you?

I am single and the best company I could ever have. I am never lonely. Many do not believe this but it is true. I have very little fear – when I want something or even a change in my life – I make it happen. My life is filled with passion and creativity. I have so many ways to connect with people. I create my own life and experiences. I am constantly seeking mastery in the things I do. Just being me is a huge and time-consuming job!! I know that thoughts are things and I understand how important my thoughts and intentions are, I listen to that little voice inside that we all have and I know to keep it positive. That is my job.

What are you most thankful for in life?

I have been given so many gifts but I feel they have multiplied because I use them. I reach out to life and embrace the opportunities I see, I “show up” in my life, I study, I seek to do the best that I can in all things I undertake. If fear does come, I tell fear that it will not make decisions for me – hence I can move forward. Through this process, it seems that more and more is given to me. Fear can be a big “stopper” in people’s live's. But fear is just fear – it is not a reality – just a warning or an emotion. I simply take fear by the hand and move it into the direction I want to go – until it gets more comfortable with things – then it is all better.