Thursday

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: International Softball Instructor Lisa Hill

I am thrilled to welcome International Softball Instructor and former Pac-10 Softball Player Lisa Hill to The Fashionable Feminist. Lisa is currently pursuing a career in marketing and hopes to return to the international softball world to lead instructional camps in the future. With a master's degree in Sport Administration, Lisa is the epitome of leadership in the office and on the field.

How has playing and teaching softball helped shape you into the woman you have become today?

Playing softball taught me the value of hard work and dedication. To achieve goals desire by itself is not good enough; diligence, time, and physical effort are definitely required to achieve goals. That practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent and that how I act will ultimately determine how good of a player and person I will be. It taught me the value of cooperation, teamwork, and networking: softball is a small world with a lot of heart and building and maintaining good relationships at a young age was definitely a skill that led to my success: in fact I still keep in touch with not only teammates but many opposing players to this day--some relationships I made in youth softball are still presenting me with opportunities today.

The most important thing I learned playing softball is an odd combination of two things: how to lose, and how to compete. The best hitters in baseball/softball only succeed between 3-4 times out of every 10 tries (.300-.400 BA). To succeed in the sport you must take opportunities one at a time- truly be in the present and let the failures go. Competing is looking at these failures in a logical manner and determining better strategies based off of this failure. Use the failure to your personal advantage!

While playing softball, the things I listed happened but until I began teaching the sport I didn’t realize the value of them. Teaching the sport is also allowing me to be more open and accepting of differences: playing style, work styles, coaching styles, etc. Teaching the sport is also teaching me to love the sport: when I was young and in college, as much as I loved and lived for the sport I viewed it more as a job/career. As a coach I am able to feed off of my players passion to view it as a game--and I love that.

Why is women in sports a topic that's important to you? How do sports provide a continual outlet and source of empowerment for women?

To be honest I am too young to truly understand why “women in sports” is a different topic than “sports” and I think that shows how far society has come. Growing up in the era I did it was natural for women to play sports, it was a given right from tee-ball through college. I continually have older women remark how they wish they had the opportunity to play softball--how much they would have sacrificed for the opportunities we are just “given” today. I try to imagine my life without the opportunity to play softball, without the opportunity to play sports and I can’t. I am really blessed that I can’t picture a world where women are not allowed to play sports.

I think this is how I view this topic because Fastpitch Softball is a sport with little male comparison: the women’s version of the game is far more popular than the men’s game, and because of the dimensions Baseball is practically a different sport. This lack of comparison makes women’s softball unique to other women’s sports in that it is not seen as “lesser” because it is a women’s sport. Women’s Softball is the mainstream version of Fastpitch Softball. On the youth and international levels it is gaining more and more popularity every year, it is getting increased coverage every year on ESPN. I think that a sport where we’re not compared to men is very empowering to women. I truly think that Women will continue to dominate the sport for many years to come!

What does it mean to be a fashionable feminist in your field?

Being a fashionable feminist in the world of softball is not all about self-confidence: it is about being at ease with oneself. Although one always strives to be a better person and a better softball player/coach, being comfortable with who you are in the present moment is truly what leads to success in the sport. A person cannot improve without their foundation (who you are in the present moment) being in a good state, just as a house should not be built on a cracked foundation…

Most people consider me as a having a “worry free”, “open”, “free spirit” type of personality. The truth of the matter is that I have a bundle of worries, but I don’t let them affect my current being- especially on the softball field--softball is one of the few places I can be Zen. Research shows that it is impossible for the human brain to multi-task, thus any outside feelings brought into the present is taking away from what your life could be right now. Prioritizing all of my thought and energy into my tasks allows me to make the most of my work and my relationships on the softball field.

I like to teach my students through situational training, physics, and miniature games so that when they are in game situations they will not have to multi-task between thinking of what to do and actually competing, it will come as a second nature (which is important in a sport that requires split-second decisions). In the moment I want them to be free and re-act.

What/who inspires you most? Who are your role models?

I’m always inspired by people who are comfortable being themselves: Some people try to act over-confident to cover their insecurities, but a select few embrace their insecurities and flaws and just do what they want--and I think that’s awesome. Whether that’s Ellen Degeneres, my cousin Lindsay, or the girl at the coffee shop: I’ve always been conflicted with wanting to “fit in” vs. being “myself” and as quirky as I am it has kept me from doing some cool things- especially in fashion! Fashion wise they do what they want because they want to--they make me want to be better everyday!

What are five fabulous things about being you? What are you most thankful for in life?

1. I have a sense of humor! I’m clumsy--not sure how I would survive without it. J

2. I’m not afraid of trying new life ventures. I’m a big believe in fate: everything that is meant to be will be--thus I’m completely open to all new things--consideration can’t hurt.

3. I’m Personable. That random girl in brightly flowered rain boots that talked to you the other day--that was probably me.

4. I’m honest. I am honest to a fault, although it’s a burden at times I absolutely love it!

5. I’m not afraid of being alone. If you don’t like spending time with you it’s going to be a long life! I take myself to lunch, movies, the park; I even traveled Europe by myself! I love having friends but I also know how to be my own best friend!

What am I most thankful for??

I have a life full of blessings: a great family, great friends, inspiring coaches, and an awesome education. I thank God every day for these things. What I am most thankful for, however, is opportunity. I would not have any of these things if I were not given the opportunity to have them. I’ve done some unique things in my life, and I’m so thankful for the opportunity to do them. I’ve been given opportunity, I’ve created opportunity, I’ve stumbled upon opportunity--and I’m thankful for everything and will continue to trudge through new ventures and opportunities as they arrive to me! Many people in this world aren’t blessed with opportunity: I show my thanks to the world by paying it forward to them. Giving is the most important thing one can do with their life--always remember to give!